|Historical / Did You
A Blast from the Past
Virginia Moose Association elects Officers for the upcoming year in 1930
Photo from the October 1930 edition of the Moose Magazine.
It wasn't until 1936 that the Virginia Moose Association became the
1st State Association to be sanctioned by the Supreme Lodge.
Click on one of the Titled articles below to advance to that article
|Men Of America - James J. Davis, An iron puddler who made friends|
|The Origins of Moosehearts' Camp Ross|
|Moose Youth Awareness Program|
|The "Proof of Our Value": Community Service|
|History of the R. Robert Dale Scholarship Program|
|Moose Legion Has Made Substantial Contributions|
|Mooseheart Centennial Plaza Symbolizes Moose Fraternalism|
|Moosers Assailed For Party Emblem|
|House of God at Mooseheart is unusual religious edifice|
|Mooseheart - as printed in the By-laws of 1919|
|Origins of the " Loyal Order Of Moose "|
|The Legend of the "Locked Horns"|
|25 Clubbers are Moose "Men of Distinction"|
|History of Mooseheart -- "The Child City"|
|History of Moosehaven -- "The City of Contentment"|
|History of the Moose Legion|
|Moose Legion Trivia|
|History of the Women of the Moose|
Nine O'Clock Ceremony Artwork
The fraternity’s Nine O’Clock Ceremony was first depicted in oil for distribution to Lodges in the early 1930s, with a Mooseheart child saying a bedtime prayer with the Campanile tower shown outside the window; the painting was updated in the early 1960s, now the House of God is depicted at dusk outside the window. (Ironically, the positioning of both artworks is more idealized than realistic: The tyke at top looks to be about four, hence would have lived at Baby Village, nowhere near the Campanile; in the later art the view is very close to what one might see out a bedroom window in Baby Village’s Schuylkill building—but the boy looks to be perhaps seven—too old to live there!)
Here's why we ask you to ... Learn about elections
Unless the Lodge is utilizing the
“Australian ballot,” the election must be held during the first Lodge
meeting in April—but no less than two weeks after the report of the
Nominating Committee (giving potential petition candidates at least seven
days to get the signatures they need). What’s the “Australian Ballot?” If
a Lodge has a significant number of members who are shift workers, it may
choose to accept ballots for an extended period of hours on the day of the
Lodge meeting. This is permissible only if the Lodge has voted at least
prior to the regular election date to accept ballots in this manner. The
election must still take place and conclude on the day of the first
regular meeting in April; it cannot be conducted on any other date.
Why is this process frankly a bit involved and detailed? Because having a member become a candidate “on a lark” in anger, or during an evening in the Social Quarters, is generally not the best way to get qualified candidates on the ballot. Electing qualified leaders is crucial to the success of every Moose Lodge.
" The Moose " - Alces - Alces
Did you know that moose are the largest antlered animals on the planet and males can weigh 1,000 pounds? And, did you know that moose are excellent swimmers both on the surface or under the water? Algonquin Indians from the northern regions of Canada identified this animal that eats the bark from trees as “mooswa” (twig eater). Somewhere along the way mooswa became moose. The mooswa provided the Algonquins with was a source of food, clothing, shelter and tools made from their bones and antlers. The plural of moose isn't mooses (or meese or mice), its moose. Go figure!
The moose's large body helps fight the cold by allowing less heat loss in the cold. Their long legs permit them to walk in deep snow and shallow ponds. Like the polar bear, Moose hair is hollow. This provides good insulation against cold weather and hollow hair helps the moose float better when in water. The "dewlap" is that piece of skin that hangs from the bottom of the neck. It is used to spread its scent during mating rituals. The male's (bull) dewlap is generally larger than female's (cow).
Their teeth are best suited to eating plants, bushes and small trees. They have a four-chambered stomach for digesting different foods at different times. Woody bushes (i.e. the willow) is a staple, and the complex stomach allows digestion of green leaf vegetables in the summer. The sense of smell is highly developed. Predators' can be detected long before being seen or heard A bull (male) moose weighs up to 1,800 pounds and their antlers can tip the scales at 75 pounds. And, those antlers can grow as much as one inch per day.
A bull may use its antlers to fend off a predator, but their hooves are the first line of defense as moose are able to kick out in any directions. Their antlers are solid bone, but they are soft and tender while growing. During this growing process, a thin layer of “velvet” (skin) containing thousands of blood vessels supplies calcium and minerals for strengthening the bones. The velvet is shed once the antlers harden before the fall breeding season. Late in the winter, the antlers are shed and the whole cycle begins again. Each year, the antlers continue to grow larger.
Now this is one Big @#$ MOOSE
By the length of his beard and the grey legs, I figure he
must be over 10 years old.
" Moose Charities - The Many Ways to Support Mooseheart and Moosehaven "
Moose Charities was founded in 1994 and approved for operation in September of 2000, Moose Charities is a registered 501(c)(3) charitable corporation. Moose Charities is the non-profit, fundraising arm of Moose International with the purpose of:
Although there are many ways to make a tax deductible contribution to Moose Charities which include the Endowment Fund Club, the Gimme 5 Endowment Fund Campaign, Tribute Gifts (in honor of - in memory of), Employer Matching Gifts, and Planned Giving (bequest, wills, charitable gift annuities, etc.), many members are not aware of the many ways they can raise funds for Mooseheart and Moosehaven without any cost to the member. Please consider participating in the following programs which support our Child City and our City of Contentment.
Please contact your Moose Charities Chairperson for guidelines, forms, and additional information on any of the above programs and others which further support Mooseheart and Moosehaven.
" The Lodge Merit Award "
The Lodge Merit Award was first awarded in 1986 and for 22 years the Lodge Merit Award recognized those Lodges that were leaders within the Loyal Order of Moose Fraternity. In order for a Lodge to earn the Lodge Merit Award they had to show an increase in good-standing membership, show an increase in net financial assets for the fiscal year, participate in District, State, and International meetings, workshops, training seminars, schools and conventions, adhere to the General Laws of the Order, and submit timely Certified Quarterly Reports.
If all the requirements were met, the Lodge received a Merit Award Banner and appropriate chevron(s), (as shown). Lodge Merit award pins were presented to each elected officers qualifying for the award. A Lodge Merit Award Certificate for display in the Lodge home was also presented to the Lodge, (as shown).
After 22 years, the Lodge Merit Award program ended and was replaced with the Premier Lodge Award program as introduced at the 2007 Moose International Convention in Orlando Florida. This program recognizes those Lodges that truly exemplify a successful fraternal operation. A Lodge must meet 5 mandatory criteria and a minimum of 5 alternate criteria to earn the award. The level of award earned increases with the number of alternate criteria met. The levels for the award are; Bronze (5 mandatory + 5 alternate), Silver (5 mandatory + 7 alternate), Gold (5 mandatory + 9 alternate), and the Top Level Award Platinum (5 mandatory + 10 alternate criteria).
" The Iron Puddler "
Author: James J. Davis - June 1922
Excerpts from an article in the New York Times - October 29, 1922
Links to the full newspaper article and the actual 81 page autobiography are posted below
|" The Iron Puddler " is
an autobiography, the story of a poor immigrant boy who, by his own
unaided efforts, made an honorable place for himself in the country of his
adoption. Born in Wales, Mr. Davis came to the United States at the
age of eight, the oldest but one of a family of six children. The
father, an iron puddler by trade, had come to America some time earlier
and found employment.
From the very beginning young James was one of the breadwinners of the family. He shined shoes, ran errands, drove cows to pasture and in other ways earned money which he invariably turned over to his mother.
At the age of eleven, Jimmy left school and went to work in a nail factory. A year later he was working with his father in the rolling mill, and at sixteen he was a master puddler.
Not satisfied with educating himself, Mr. Davis dreamed of establishing a school where every child should have the chance to learn a trade and at the same time acquire a high school education. Later, when he became a national organizer for the Loyal Order Of Moose, he was instrumental in founding the Mooseheart School in the fertile Fox River Valley of Illinois.
Mr. Davis's style is, as he himself admits, better suited to the platform than to the printed page. His experiences as a union leader, an organizer and a politician have trained him in extemporaneous speaking, and he writes as he would speak. His philosophy is well summed up in what he said to the Moose committee when it was proposed to make Mooseheart a normal school where the students should be prepared to become teachers.
The world is well supplied with teachers he said. Everybody wants to teach the other fellow what to do, but nobody cares to do it. Hand work will make a country rich and mouth work will make it poor. All the speeches I have ever made have never added a dollar to the taxable value of America. But the tin and iron I wrought with my hands have helped to make America the richest country in the world. The Indians were philosophers and orators; they could out-talk the white man every time. But the Indians had no houses and no clothes. They wouldn't work with their hands. A race that works with its hands has run the Indian off the earth. If we quit working now and try to live on philosophy, some race that still knows how to work will run us out of this country. The first law of civilized life is labor. Labor is the giver of all good things. Let us teach these orphans how to apply their labor, and after that all things will be added unto them.
Quoting James J. Davis in the conclusion section of his autobiography
I have no new cure for the ills of humanity.
Life is a struggle, and rest is in the grave.
All nature is in commotion; there is wind and rain; and out of it comes seed harvest.
The waters of the sea are poured in thunder wrack upon the hills and run in rivers back into the sea.
The winds make weather, and weather profits man.
When will man's turmoil cease, when will he find calm?
I do not know.
I only know that toil and struggle are sweet, and that life well lived is victory.
And that calm is death.
Man must face an iron world, but he is iron to subdue it.
The lessons of my life were learned at the forge and I am grateful for my schooling.
Click Here to view and print the full article as published by the New York Times, October 29, 1922
Click Here to view and print the full 81 page autobiography by James J. Davis " The Iron Puddler"
James J. Davis,
An iron puddler who made friends
from a mid 1900's publication titled - "Men Of America"
Friends by the Thousands
In 1883 James J. Davis, an 11 year old immigrant boy from Wales, was learning the trade of iron puddler at Sharon PA. Twenty years later it was said he could call by their first names more than ten thousand friends.
No one can doubt the genuineness of Davis' friendship. Founder of a great fraternal organization, Loyal Order of Moose, he instilled into its thousands of members the value of friendliness as a business and a social asset.
His rise from a lowly station in life to the cabinet of the President of the United States is traceable to the way he stood by his friends and they by him.
In carrying on the work of the Loyal Order of Moose, James J. Davis realized a life's ambition when he established the town of Mooseheart, Illinois, near Chicago, for the orphan children and members of families whose fathers belonged to the Order.
The property occupies more than 1000 acres of the richest farming region. Here is a happy community of over 1400 children and mothers of the fraternity. The babies play in the meadows and learn the names of flowers and birds. The boys trap rabbits and woodchucks and fight bumble bee nests. All are educated through high school and more than twenty trades are taught. Every boy and girl is prepared for life.
Make Friendliness A Personal Asset
Throughout the career of James J. Davis, his friendliness made his success easier and more certain. There is no one who can afford to be without friends. And there is only one way to have friends and that is to be friendly ourselves.
The grouch, the lone wolf, the stand-offish fellow never gets ahead like the man who is ready to help others, and he is the man who is most likely to receive help from others. It pays to have a friendly feeling toward our job and our employers and our fellow employees. Be a friend and have friends.
The father of James J. Davis taught him as a boy:
"No man is greater than his friends. All the good that comes into your life will come from your friends. If you loose your friends, your enemies will destroy you"
The Origins of Moosehearts' Camp Ross
Mooseheart Camp Ross
Seven spring-fed brooks meet near the southern limits of Mt. Morris Township in Illinois to form Pine Creek. This stream twists in a letter S for about a mile through the valley of Mooseheart Camp Ross. It was 1849 that Hitt and Coffman, two pioneer colonists from Washington County, Maryland, built a grist mill on Pine Creek in what is now the camp area. The water backed up to form lakes on either side of the ridge around which it curved, where now the camper's cabins, the director's cabin and the mess and recreation lodge are located.
In spite of general deterioration, the old mill area and the grassy vale around it became a favorite picnic spot for a generation of Mt. Morris youth. In the early 1900's they walked the two miles or more from the village, and groups of their elders drove out with their horse and buggy outfits. Automobiles later covered the distance more easily and it was at a family picnic in the mid 30's that Harold Ross stood on the remnant of the dam and said, "I would give ten years of my life to own this place!"
In 1937, they were informed the old mill property of about 75 acres was available to settle the estate. In November of that year, the Rosses’ held their first picnic on their newly acquired land and the first business of the new owners was to clean up the area and make part of it available for their use which included considerable business entertaining as well as family recreation.
The "pavilion" at the point of the camping area, was formerly the loft of a barn across the creek. It was dismantled and moved to its present site the last week in March, 1939, to be used for a picnic shelter. Its construction is most interesting in that its beams are mortised and crosspieces held with wooden pegs. The place was used by practically every civic and religious group in Mount Morris, by labor and by management, farmers and fraternal organizations, and also by the owners, frequently after they had mowed, pruned, repaired and cleaned up from the previous users.
The group of three buildings by the dam stands in the quarry from which the materials for the dam were taken. The cabin referred to a shack under lease, was originally the property of the local branch of the Ku Klux Klan. In fact, when the Rosses’ finally obtained possession and tore out the interior, they found above the ceiling, sheets with holes for eyes and notes of men and horses and ceremonial spears and lances. Most of the reconstruction of the Ross cabin was done by Harold Ross, no carpenter, and it is not surprising that it took him about three years. The portion of the old dam which still stands with its tiers of quarried rock in steps is now the stadium from which the campers face the camp fire for sings and marshmallow roasts.
By 1957, some twenty years had passed since the Rosses’ took possession of what had become some of the most beautiful acreage in Northern Illinois. The Ross boys grew up, married and all settled in the New England states. How best to use or dispose of the Ross Farm property became a problem and the consensus was that they would rather give it away than have someone obtain it at a bargain. It came as an inspiration one day that maybe the Loyal Order of Moose could use it in their program for the children at Mooseheart. Strong ties of friendship, business and fraternal feelings had long existed with the Order, particularly with Mooseheart, and it was hoped that the location, conveniently near the Child City, yet far enough away to give the atmosphere of an outing , might make it desirable for summer camping. Harold Ross was a sales executive for the printing firm that printed Moose Magazine -- and was a devoted Moose, a member of Mt. Morris Lodge 1551.
Negotiations were started with the Supreme Lodge and the final result was the conveyance of the property as a gift, in six parcels, one each year from 1956 through 1961, and its adaptation through the efforts of the Legion of the Moose, the Alumni Association of Mooseheart, and the Supreme Lodge of the Order, into one of the most beautiful children's camps existing. Utilities including heavy wiring and the well which is approximately seven hundred feet deep, were put in by the Supreme Lodge, the combination mess and recreation hall was the gift of the Alumni Association, and the further development was a project of the Legion of the Moose. By June 1960, thanks to $100,000 invested by the Moose Legion and three years of work by Mooseheart staff and students, the camp was ready for dedication -- as part of that year’s International Convention. Nearly 2,000 members made the long trek from Chicago to Mt. Morris. Involvement by the Moose Legion continues to this day, along with rock-solid support from the Mooseheart Alumni Association. “The Moose Legion has been a blessing for the kids at Mooseheart and their sanctuary at Camp Ross,” Mooseheart Executive Director Scott Hart said. “Time and again when the Legion has been asked to step up and modernize Camp Ross, they have.”
The camp has increased in acreage and beauty through two accessions. The land for the impressive entrance was donated by Mrs Lilian Eager of Rockford, in accordance with the wish of her husband who died very suddenly after stating his desire to donate it. The site of the present "winter cabin", centered between the camp property and the entrance gift, was owned by a member of the Mount Morris Moose Lodge 1551, who sold it to the Order. A few additional acres were obtained along the west boundaries and altogether the camp area is now about ninety-five acres.
The Camp Ross journey continues today. The vision of Harold Ross, as he stoutly maintained that “When God made the area of Mooseheart Camp Ross, He designed it for a children's camp under His special protection”.
This information provided here are extracts of information researched, compiled and written by Dorothy (Mrs Harold D.) Ross, 1967. Many Thanks to the Mt. Morris Moose Family Center #1551, the original article in its entirety can be viewed at http://moose1551.com .
Moose Youth Awareness Program
After several years of donating to local prevention programs, such as
D.A.R.E, Red Ribbon and Pride, the Loyal Order of
Moose was asked to participate in the “Just Say No to Drugs” Program in
1986 by First Lady Nancy Reagan. In 1988, Moose International changed the
name from “Just Say No To Drugs” to the Moose Youth and Drug Awareness
Program. The program name changed again in 1994, to the Moose Youth
The "Proof of Our Value":
The Moose fraternal organization was founded in the late 1800s by Dr. John Henry Wilson with the modest goal of offering men an opportunity to gather socially. It was reinvented during the first decade of the 20th century into an organization of men and women that could provide protection and security for a largely working-class membership. For a quarter-century the Moose had directed its efforts almost completely toward Mooseheart and Moosehaven. With discharged WWII Veterans driving Moose membership to nearly 800,000 members, Moose International Director General Giles set out to broaden the organization's horizons. In 1949 he conceived and instituted what was to become the third great Moose endeavor of the modern era, the Civic Affairs program (later renamed Community Service). Giles explained his rationale: "Only three institutions have a God-given right to exist in a community, the home, the church and the school. The rest of us must be valuable to the community to warrant our existence, and the burden of proof of our value is on us."
The kaleidoscope of all that is Moose Community Service was organized into a “Five-Point Program” in the early 1990s, then expanded in mid-decade to the “Six-Point Program” with its familiar logo at top. The Community Service program has since flourished into a myriad of humanitarian efforts on the local Lodge level, as well as fraternity-wide projects including the Moose Youth Awareness Program, Tommy Moose Program, and Youth Sports. As of May 1, 2008 the Moose International Six-Point Program covers service and donations to Special Olympics and the Bedford Virginia based Safe Surfin' Foundation which seeks to safeguard our Children from Internet Crime and educate the public about Internet crimes against children.
The Moose International Department of Fraternal Programs recognizes outstanding community service efforts by individual lodges. During the latter part of May each year, the International Community Service Committee meets to judge all lodges that have earned four "Superior" ratings during the recently completed fiscal year. The top Lodges are recognized as recipients of the annual awards and a plaque of appreciation indicating the Lodge name and number and the level of award achieved.
Community Service is a vital part of our organization. Not only is it important to our Lodge, but it is important and meaningful to the ones that we help. Even the smallest of things we do such as driving an elderly person to the doctor or volunteering to cut their grass or doing repairs, counts as community service and the Lodge gets credit with Moose International. So remember to let the Community Service Chairperson, or the Lodge office know of any service or volunteer work that you do or have done. The basic information that is needed is the number of members involved, number of miles driven, and the number of hours spent on the project.
A MOOSE INTERNATIONAL SCHOLARSHIP PROGRAM
R. Robert Dale served as Secretary/Administrator of St.Charles, IL Lodge 1368. He was devoted to the Moose fraternity, its precepts and endeavors. He never married; never became a father. His sister married into a modest degree of wealth, but she never had children either. Following the death of her husband, she and Robert named each other in their wills.
Robert survived her, but only by a few months. Robert Dale died on August 15, 1983 leaving an estate of more than $2 million, to be divided equally between the Veterans of Foreign Wars National Home and the Loyal Order of Moose, both for the purpose of providing scholarships.
Robert wanted to do a beautiful, unselfish, and divine act. In 1985, Director General Paul O’Hollaren and the Supreme Council approved that the interest from the Dale Scholarship Fund was to be used for Moose members children who had graduated from high school, to further their higher education, and the R. Robert Dale Scholarship Program was created.
As of spring 2007, some 1,188 high school seniors, living in households headed by a member of either the Loyal Order of Moose or Women of the Moose, have benefited from Dale Scholarships totaling $1,188,000 since the programs inception.
Applicants for the program must be high-school juniors with a grade-point average of 2.5 or higher on a 4.0 scale. They are eligible only if their mother, father, or legal guardian is a member of the Moose in good standing. (One eligible application per student).
Any state or provincial Moose Association with 15 to 45 or more eligible applicants (based on Association membership) may draw for at least one R. Robert Dale Scholarship winner. A Moose Lodge and Chapter can also win a bonus Scholarship for one of their eligible students on their own combined list, if they reach 25 eligible applicants. The Scholarship may be used for tuition, books, and fees at any accredited vocational or academic institution the winner chooses to attend.
There is no better way to help the youth of our Fraternity than to offer them the opportunity to further their education and that is exactly what the R. Robert Dale Scholarship is all about.
Questions on the R. Robert Dale Scholarship Program can be addressed to Joanne Svendsen at email@example.com or by calling (630) 966-2228.
Moose Legion Has Made Substantial Contributions
The Second Degree of the Loyal Order of Moose, known as the Moose Legion, was organized in 1913 to provide an opportunity for those members of the fraternity who desire to make further contributions to the Order's philanthropic objectives. Also known as the Degree of Service, the Moose Legion provides a means of distinction for its members. Becoming a Moose Legionnaire is the first step towards advancing to the higher degrees.
There are at present more than 200 Moose Legions in the United States and Canada with an average membership of 10 percent of the Moose membership. Moose Legion "celebrations" are held at least quarterly in each jurisdiction. The Second Degree now enjoys a high position of membership strength, respect and prestige. It has achieved this lofty level by compiling an outstanding record of fraternal achievement.
The first philanthropic project of the Moose Legion in 1913 and 1914, was to contribute $6,000 to provide the nucleus for a herd of Holstein dairy cattle at Mooseheart. Moose Legion contributions financed the building of West Legion Hall in 1917, East Legion Hall in 1919, and Fez Hall in 1921. (All are or were residential structures on the Mooseheart Campus.) The Moose Legion helped finance the founding and operation of Moosehaven in 1922, underwrote the founding of the Moosehaven Research Laboratory
in 1947, and built the Community Building in 1949. In 1953, the Moose Legion financed Faith Hall, Legion Hall in 1958, and Jubilee Hall. In the 1960s, the Moose Legion also helped raise funds for the Paul P. Schmitz Health Center. Since the 1980s, Moose Legionnaires have also funded all prescription drugs and all outside health care needs of Moosehaven residents.
The Moose Legion helped build Mooseheart's House of God in 1950 and contributed $150,000 to the Mooseheart High School building fund in 1954. The Moose Legion successfully completed a $100,000 campaign to develop Mooseheart Camp Ross in the late 1950s and early 1960s. (The early-1990s upgrades at Camp Ross are also a Moose Legion project.) In the late 1960s, the Mooseheart student bank was completed and placed into operation, and an Olympic-sized swimming pool was added to the Mooseheart school complex, both thanks to the Moose Legion. In 1973, the Museum of Moose History was dedicated and was sponsored entirely by the Moose Legion. There was also a complete renovation of Jubilee Hall at Moosehaven in 1980-81. Another milestone by the Moose Legion was the financing in the late 1970s of a new metric track at Mooseheart, at a cost of more than $180,000; this track was completely resurfaced in 1994 at a cost of $56,000 -- also borne by the Moose Legion. By now the Museum of Moose History had outgrown itself and a completely new addition, doubling the size, was also funded by the Moose Legion and dedicated in 1985. In 1989, the Moose Legion adopted Camp Ross as its permanent project, guaranteeing the continuation of the Summer Camp Program and maintaining its reputation as the "Degree of Service."
Most recently the funding for the current 2 year Mooseheart Powerhouse renovation project was reached long before it's anticipated completion date of April 30, 2009 and was 94% funded by March of 2008. The project involves overhauling two of the campus's 20 year old generators which allows the Mooseheart Campus to remove itself from the local electric utility grid. In the summertime, Mooseheart can produce electricity cheaper than they can buy it on the open market. All Moose Legions in Virginia had met their 2 year commitment by the Fall of 2008. Virginia Moose Legions have contributed $21,084.80 of the total $229,615.22 Funds Raised as of 11/30/2008.
Dedicated Moose members are invited to become members of the Second Degree. A good standing member becomes eligible for advancement to the Second Degree after he has completed one year of membership and has sponsored one member into the lodge OR has completed six months of membership and sponsored three members in to the lodge. If you were once a Moose Legion member, please consider renewing your dues and once again become active in the Second Degree.
Mooseheart Centennial Plaza Symbolizes Moose Fraternalism
CENTENNIAL PLAZA SYMBOLIZES MOOSE FRATERNALISM
Upon entering the front entrance at Mooseheart, one cannot help but notice the bronze statue of a moose, centered in the middle of the Centennial Plaza. It stands watch over the grounds with grace, power and dignity. The Plaza was officially dedicated in 1988 at the 100th International Moose Convention at Chicago and Mooseheart. The moose statue stands almost 16 feet tall and was created by world-renowned sculptor Gerard Balciar. The fine details and true-to-life form of this majestic animal make it a beautiful piece of work.
The Centennial Plaza is surrounded by marble walls with built-in benches. The name of each Moose state and provincial association appears above each bench. To help defray the costs of Centennial Plaza, several years after its construction, Moose members and their families purchased designated one inch squares in their name.
" Moosers Assailed for Party Emblem "
as published in the October 18th, 1912, issue of " The New York Times "
MOOSERS ASSAILED FOR PARTY EMBLEM
Loyal Moose Say the Bull Moose Progressive Party Deliberately Imitated Their Lapel Insignia
INTENDED AS A DECEPTION
Even Initials on Button Are Closely Followed, Supreme Lodge Official Declares
Grip to be Changed
Members of the Loyal Order of Moose are aroused over what they term a deliberate attempt by the Progressive, or Bull Moose, Party to make political capital out of their organization. This order comprises more than 250 lodges from coast to coast, and has an enrollment of nearly 250,000 members.
It is charged that because of the similarity of names between the fraternal order and the third term party leaders of the latter adopted emblem buttons exactly like the one of the emblems worn in the lapels of the coats of Loyal Moose members. The Bull Moose button is worn in exactly the same manner.
This move of the Bull Moosers is attributed to a shrewd endeavor to make the layman believe that the wearer of the emblem of the Loyal Order of Moose is a supporter of Roosevelt. Instead of accomplishing their purpose, however, the Bull Moosers succeeded only in creating havoc in the lodges of the Loyal Order of Moose all over the United States, it is said.
As a result the "Howdy, Pap" and the secret grip of the lodge will go by the wayside, and it will be another year, when the supreme lodge meets in July, 1913, before a new grip can be devised. Then it will be nearly another year before all the members will have fallen into the new order of things. All this, it is explained, because members of the organization, deceived by the similarity in the buttons, have innocently exposed to outsiders one of its secrets by giving the hand of fellowship to a supposed brother. A supreme lodge official yesterday said: "I believe that the trick of the imitation of one of the buttons recognized, though not the official emblem, by all lodges, should get full publicity that the layman may learn not to confound a moose with a third-termer. In some cases I have noted on my trip East the imitation was carried to a most reprehensible degree. The unofficial button of the Loyal Order of Moose is that of a moose head, and on the neck are the letters P.A.P., standing for purity, aid, progress.
"The third termers in some cases went so far as to have inscribed on the necks of the mooseheads they have distributed in many sections the letters P.P., implying, of course, Progressive Party.
"With the double imitation, it is any wonder that even lodge members have been deceived and have unwittingly 'given the grip' to non-members? But do you think that bit of trickery will in any wise aid the third-term cause, even with outsiders, when they, like the Moose, see into it?
"As individuals, many of our lodge members in every city have endeavored to dissuade outsiders from wearing these buttons and are beginning themselves to discard the unofficial button.
"Two months ago several prominent Moose lodge men sent individual protests to the Progressive Party leaders against further issuance of the moosehead buttons. It was promised in each case that no more would be issued.
"Then came the worst action of all undertaken to confound Moose with Bull Moose. Less than two months ago the third-term party had stricken off thousands of round lapel buttons with a blue background and a gilded moosehead in the centre. These were distributed all over the East in every City except Baltimore. About the same time a subsidiary Moose lodge was formed in Highland-town, a suburb of Baltimore. As the newly made 'Paps' filed out of the hall two individuals, later proved not to be members of any Moose lodge, passed out these buttons, calling out, 'Get your Moose buttons here; they are free.' The same day similar buttons had been scattered over Baltimore proper.
"Well, of course these new members 'fell,' and proudly wore the third-term buttons as symbols of sacred vows taken in lodge assembled.
" School For Moose Order "
as published in the August 23, 1910, issue of " The New York Times "
SCHOOL FOR MOOSE ORDER
They Will Support Establishment at Muncie, Ind,. for Their Own Children.
BALTIMORE, MD., Aug. 22, 1910 -- A normal and industrial school maintained by an international fraternal organization is the latest thing in educational activity. Such a school for both sexes will be conducted at Muncie, Ind. by the Loyal Order of Moose of the World, whose twenty-second annual convention opened at the Maryland Theater this morning. About 500 delegates are in attendance from all parts of the country.
The convention accepted the offer of the Trustees of the East Indiana Normal School at Muncie Ind. to hand over to the order the entire plant valued at more than $100,000. The school will be for the children of Moose members, and a course of industrial and business training and normal school study covering a period of six years is planned.
The expense of conducting the school will be met by a yearly assessment of ten cents from each member of the order, and revenue from a printing establishment in the school.
The officers reported to-day a membership of 81,000 and a reserve fund of $123,000.
Tonight a thousand new members were initiated by the Baltimore Lodge, and a "barn dance" was held on the Court House Plaza.
On Dec. 14, 1912, the leaders of the Loyal Order of Moose decided to purchase a 750 acre dairy operation known as Brookline Farm, 40 miles west of Chicago, plus adjacent acreage to the west and north, 1,023 acres in total. Final purchase took place in February 1913 totaling $264,000. At a joint meeting of the Supreme Council and Institute Trustees unanimous approval was granted to Congressman John J. Lentz’s proposal to name the new home and school “Mooseheart.” "This," he said, "will always be the place where the Moose fraternity will collectively pour out its heart, its devotion and sustenance, to the children of its members in need."
House of God at Mooseheart is unusual religious edifice
The following was posted in the September 2008 issue of Moose Tracks
The House of God, believed to be the only cathedral in the world built primarily for the use of children, is the place of worship of roughly 250 youngsters and their caregivers residing at Mooseheart, the famed Child City owned and operated by the Loyal Order of Moose, near Aurora, Ill.
This unusual "Children's Cathedral," built of Lannon and Bedford stone, was dedicated on August 20, 1950, as a church to serve all faiths.
The House of God was the result of a 31-year fundraising drive by the Moose fraternity (interrupted both by the Great Depression and World War II). Total cost was slightly more than $2 million.
Passing through the doors of the main entrance, one enters the narthex. On the right is the War Memorial Room, and on the left is the James J. Davis Memorial Room.
Passing through the next set of doors, one enters the nave of the church. It has a seating capacity of more than 700 persons, and is used by all faiths for their respective services of worship.
On the north of the nave is the Catholic Chapel with several stained-glass windows, each depicting one the seven sacraments. On the south of the nave is the Protestant Chapel with eight stained-glass windows, each portraying one of the eight Beatitudes. Windows in the nave tell the story of the Creation and other Biblical tales.
The stained glass windows were created by the Rambusch Decorating Co., and are considered to be of the finest quality. Cooperating in the creation of the windows were three artists: Joep Nichols, celebrated Dutch master; OlafOlsen, and Stephen Bridges.
The Tower of Tolerance rises 110 feet into the sky and houses the carillons. These can be heard playing "Call to Worship" every Sunday morning.
Summary of Mooseheart as printed in the General Laws published October 1, 1919
Brookline Farm was purchased in 1913
to establish the so-called
The following is a page from the General Laws six years later, describing Mooseheart.
This same year in 1919, a resolution was passed authorizing Director General
James J. Davis to establish an Endowment Fund for the protection of Mooseheart.
The first "Penny Collection",
(Endowment Fund was called at the time), was received from Martins Ferry, Ohio Lodge #1532 in the amount of $1.31 on January 5th, 1920.
"Hold thou Mooseheart in the hollow
of thy hands, and let thy blessings
rest upon the children there."
THE LOYAL ORDER OF MOOSE seeks to make fraternalism of practical benefit by its educational activities. It operates at Mooseheart, Illinois, a vocational school and home for boys and girls whose fathers were members of the Order. Mooseheart is built upon one thousand and fifteen acres of good fertile land. The boys are taught agriculture, horticulture, nurserymanship, the building trades and commercial courses, and those general broad ideas tending to make them men among men.
The girls are taught, in a practical way, those things that are necessary to make each one the queen of a household.
The institution is supported by a contribution of one dollar per year from each member, which is paid by the member at the same time he pays his dues, and one dollar payable in October with the regular dues for a permanent building fund. It is anticipated that ultimately the educational activities of Mooseheart will be extended through correspondence methods and non-resident schools, so that the membership of the Order themselves may be better prepared for their own struggle for income. Mooseheart is managed by the Mooseheart Governors, and any and all correspondence having to do with the philanthropic and educational features of the Order's work should be addressed to the MOOSEHEART GOVERNORS, MOOSEHEART, ILLINOIS.
"The School That Trains for Life"
Origins of the " Loyal Order Of Moose "
Though the Moose fraternal organization was founded in the late 1800s with
the modest goal of offering men an opportunity to gather socially, it was
reinvented during the first decade of the 20th century into an
organizational dynamo of men and women who set out to build a city that
would brighten the futures of thousands of children in need all across
When Dr. John Henry Wilson, a Louisville, Ky., physician, organized a
handful of men into the Loyal Order of Moose in the parlor of his home in
the spring of 1888, he and his compatriots did so apparently for no other
reason than to form a string of men's social clubs. Lodges were instituted
in Cincinnati, St. Louis, and the smaller Indiana towns of Crawfordsville
and Frankfort by the early 1890s, but Dr. Wilson himself became
dissatisfied and left the infant order well before the turn of the
Davis, a native of Wales who had worked from boyhood as an "iron puddler" in the steel mills of Pennsylvania, had also been a labor organizer and immediately saw potential to build the tiny Moose fraternity into a force to provide protection and security for a largely working-class membership. At the time little or no government "safety net" existed to provide benefits to the wife and children of a breadwinner who died or became disabled. Davis proposed to "pitch" Moose membership as a way to provide such protection at a bargain price; annual dues of $5 to $10. Given a green light and the title of "Supreme Organizer," Davis and a few other colleagues set out to solicit members and organize Moose Lodges across the U.S. and southern Canada. (In 1926, the Moose fraternity's presence extended across the Atlantic, with the founding of the Grand Lodge of Great Britain.)
Davis' marketing instincts were on-target: By 1912, the order had grown from 247 members in two Lodges, to a colossus of nearly 500,000 in more than 1,000 Lodges. Davis, appointed the organization's first chief executive with the new title of Director General, realized it was time to make good on the promise. The Moose began a program of paying "sick benefits" to members too ill to work--and, more ambitiously, Davis and the organization's other officers made plans for a "Moose Institute," to be centrally located somewhere in the Midwest that would provide a home, schooling and vocational training to children of deceased Moose members.
MOOSE " PAP "
Sun Catcher Medallion purchased during a visit to Mooseheart
was August 1927 and Philadelphia bustled and tumbled with the 39th
convention of the Loyal Order of Moose—membership, 650,000; slogan, "Pap”.
Some 50,000 delegates attended, together with 1,200 women auxiliaries who
were last week admitted to a men's session for the first time.
The mood of the convention was described by Editor Donald F. Stewart of the Mooseheart Magazine (monthly circulation, 763,000). "The most significant aspect," he said, ". . . is that it marks the end of... shoulder-slapping, grips and passwords and the beginning of a new fraternalism at work on a concrete program of social service for the welfare of the entire community."
Nevertheless, shoulder-slapping, grips and the password, "Howdy, Pap!"
were not entirely laid aside before the Moose sat down to discuss their
concrete program. The word "pap" does not connote, to Moose, a bland sort
of mush or gruel fed to infants. When Moose greets Moose he merely
pronounces the initials of "Purity, Aid, Progress."
The Legend of the "Locked Horns"
Lodge Enrollment Ritual Ceremonies have changed many times over the past years. One part of the ceremony no longer performed but soon to be incorporated into the Moose Legion Ritual is that of the Legend of the Locked Horns. In past Lodge Ritual Ceremonies it was the job of the Orator to pass on the Legend of the Locked Horns.
The Legend of the "Locked Horns"
Original Full Version of "LOCKED HORNS"
25 Clubbers are Moose "Men of Distinction"
Membership in the "25 Club" of the Loyal Order of Moose is attained by sponsoring a minimum of 25 candidates for membership in the Moose fraternity. The 25 Club was organized at the 1940 International Convention of the Order at Des Moines, Iowa, to give recognition to Moose members who have given that "extra effort" to keep the fraternity strong and growing.
Upon reaching the 250 Division, the member is presented a Life Membership in the fraternity. Upon reaching the 500 Division, he retains his pin for life and his presented with a solid gold 25 Club ring. A quality diamond is added to that ring for each 100 members sponsored thereafter, up to fully 25 diamonds in the ring upon reaching the 3,000 Division.
Did You Know ? a Historical Summary of Mooseheart
" The Child City "
James J. Davis - who later would serve as Secretary of Labor to three Presidents, then 14 years in the U.S. Senate - agreed late in 1906 to take on the job of recruiting members into the then - faltering Moose organization, on the basis of eventually using members’ pooled resources to create a home and school where dependent widows of Moose members could take their children.
Within five years the organization had grown to membership of nearly 200,000, and Davis, now carrying the title “Director General,” recommended that Moose leaders begin seeking the right parcel of real estate to set about establishing the so-called “Moose Institute.” On Dec. 14, 1912, the leaders decided to purchase a 750 acre dairy operation known as Brookline Farm, 40 miles west of Chicago, plus adjacent acreage to the west and north, 1,023 acres in total. Final purchase took place in February 1913 totaling $264,000. At a joint meeting of the Supreme Council and Institute Trustees unanimous approval was granted to Congressman John J. Lentz’s proposal to name the new home and school “Mooseheart.” "This," he said, "will always be the place where the Moose fraternity will collectively pour out its heart, its devotion and sustenance, to the children of its members in need."
Dedication of Mooseheart was set for Sunday, July 27, 1913. Thomas Marshall, then newly installed as Vice President of the United States, first balked at Supreme Governor Ralph Donges’s invitation to speak at a ceremony for what he viewed as an “orphanage.” Donges responded that “what we are planning will not be an orphanage at all. It will be a home and school for the children of our deceased members". Vice President Marshall, in his July 27 remarks, said: “Thank God, here in this Middle West, here on this most sacred day, humanity has again proved its right to be called the children of the Most High; has again reached out its hand in love and loyalty to the needy brother, and has disclosed not only the right, but the duty of this great Order to exist.” On its dedication day Mooseheart featured a large farmhouse dubbed Aid Hall, a few other ramshackle buildings, and a huge circus tent rented from Ringling Bros. for the occasion, to shield the gathering from the summer sun. Several thousand Moose men and women, (for the Women of the Moose received formal recognition that year as the organization’s official female component), gathered under the rented tent and placed the cornerstone for Mooseheart. Most importantly, there were 11 children present who would be the first to call Mooseheart home.
In August 1913, Supreme Secretary Rodney Brandon moved from Anderson, IN, where Moose headquarters had been located, to Mooseheart, to serve as the community’s first Superintendent. Under Brandon’s direction, the future design of Mooseheart began to take shape. James A. Young, city forester for nearby Aurora and owner of a nursery there, contributed landscape design services on a part-time basis. It was Young who also drew basic plans for a Mooseheart street layout, which he made roughly in the shape of a stylized heart. In 1918, on Mooseheart’s fifth anniversary, Vice President Marshall returned to speak at a dedication of a new Auditorium named for former President Theodore Roosevelt, recalling five years before: “Let me tell you that when I spoke, there was a reservation in my mind . . . Thank God that today . . . the age of miracles has not passed. All that I hoped for, longed for and prayed for on that interesting occasion five years ago has come to pass at Mooseheart.”
The Great Depression hit the Moose fraternity hard; membership plummeted from 600,000 to less than 250,000 in just seven years. Meanwhile, Mooseheart bore the responsibility for the largest population of children and teens it would ever have, flirting with the 1,400 mark throughout the 1930s.
Up through the early 1960s, the original admission policy to Mooseheart remained largely unchanged, permitting only children of male Moose members who had died. As society changed swiftly throughout the 1960s, ’70s and ’80s, Mooseheart adjusted in response, steadily accepting more and more children whose families were in disarray due to divorce, substance abuse, severe economic reversal, or other reasons. Until 1994, however, admission generally required that there be a Moose member in a child’s extended family. But that year, the Moose fraternity’s leaders voted unanimously to expand the admissions policy to consider applications from any family in need, regardless of whether a Moose member was a part of their extended family. Also in 1994, the Mooseheart campus took its first step away from full financial reliance upon the Moose fraternity, when Mooseheart Child City & School was incorporated as a separate entity, a registered 501[c]3 charity under the U.S. Internal Revenue Code.
In 2003, Mooseheart gained its youngest Executive Director since its first one, Rodney Brandon, when 34-year-old Scott D. Hart assumed the post. Hart and his wife, Christie, had been career Mooseheart staffers since coming to the campus in 1991. The new Executive Director has served as a Family Teacher, Dean, and Assistant Executive Director.
There is nothing in the world as sweet as youth, and nothing in our fraternity as caring as the child city we call Mooseheart.
Call it love... call it security... call it a heartwarming chance to turn tragedies into triumphs.
Whatever you call it, Mooseheart is one of the most enduring contributions this fraternity makes to society.
And now we ask you to help us keep our dream alive, the dream that says every child without a family deserves to have one.
Since opening its doors, thousands of children have called Mooseheart home.
Let the little children come to me.
Do not keep them away.
For they are like the kingdom of Heaven.
God Bless Mooseheart.
Did You Know ? a Historical Summary of Moosehaven
" The City of Contentment "
a 70-acre community owned and operated by the Loyal Order of Moose for
its members and their spouses located on the banks of the St. John's
River in Orange Park, Florida, 15 miles South of Jacksonville, Florida.
In 1921 the Loyal Order of Moose purchased the riverside “Hotel Marion” as a nucleus for its new complex, “Moosehaven”, and 26-acres of shoreline property just south of Jacksonville, Florida, at Orange Park. The “Hotel Marion” was previously owned by Charles Albert Brown from New York State who had purchased it in the early 1900’s and renamed it the “Hotel Marion” in honor of his mother. At the time of Charles Brown’s purchase, the Hotel was known as the “Parkview” which was built in 1881 after the original hotel, known as the “Sparhawk”, had burned to the ground. W.G. Benedit from Boston was the previous owner who formed the Florida Winter Home and Improvement Company in 1877 and built the “Sparhawk” Hotel with the hope that northerners would flock to this sunny locale. The land had many previous owners which was originally part of 1,000 acres purchased in 1803 by Zephaniah Kinsley, a notorious slave trader, for starting his new plantation, called Laurel Grove, for the many laurel trees in the area.
On October 3, 1922, Mooshaven was formally dedicated and on November 1, 1922, the “City of Contentment” was opened with the arrival of its first 22 retired Moose residents who had been living at Mooseheart. They set up house in the hotel which had been renamed “Aid Hall” from the previously known “Hotel Marion”. During the first 20 years, Moosehaven was run essentially as a self-sufficient communal farm, with much of the work necessary to keep the campus running performed by those who live there.
In 1927, the Loyal Order of Moose, for expansion of the facilities, purchased the adjacent vocational college complex known as the American Missionary Association and all of the Moosehaven facilities were moved to the River Road campus in 1948 and the old college site was donated to the Town of Orange Park for a civic center. The Town used the old college buildings for the Town Hall, Police and Fire Stations and a library.
With land purchases, Moosehaven essentially grew to its current acreage by the 1960s. Since World War II, all of the original buildings have been replaced; during the 1990s most residential facilities were again thoroughly renovated or rebuilt. The physical plant today consists entirely of modern buildings designed and built to provide pleasant and comfortable accommodations, recreation, and care.
The Administration/Auditorium building was originally a gift of the Moose Legion, and was significantly expanded in 1989 by the Women of the Moose. It houses the offices of the superintendent and other administrative staff, resident counselor, postal service, bank and community auditorium.
Each of the buildings in which Moosehaven residents stay is a self-contained home with its own sleeping and living rooms, kitchen, and dining room. Pleasant recreational facilities, a library, game room, gift shop and barber and beauty shops are provided in the Michigan Recreation Center, while a fully equipped health club, bowling lanes and swimming pool are available in the New York Healthplex, opened in 1997.
The $16 million Life Care Center, completed in 2002, and designed and equipped for the needs of senior care, provides space for 170 beds and has its own therapy department, x-ray, laboratory, and pharmacy. It also boasts six dayrooms, a chapel, library, beauty salon and barbershop, and arts and crafts room. It is a four-building, interconnected, 130,000-sq.ft. complex offering state-of-the-art assisted-living care at various levels.
Moosehaven residents worship in their own beautiful New York Chapel, located straight ahead from the campus entrance and at the center of campus. The bright, gracefully designed house of worship, dedicated in 1972 and funded by the Moose of New York State is served by Moosehaven's own Catholic and Protestant chaplains.
The men and women of Moosehaven are served delicious, well-balanced meals carefully planned for their nutritional needs. They request and are delivered such personal articles as they need. Birthday cakes are presented to those celebrating birthdays. While laundry services are provided without charge, some of the residents prefer to do their own, and washing machines are provided for them.
For all but the very earliest of it’s history, Mooshaven admission requirements included that the resident must be at least 65 years old, have been a Moose member for 15 consecutive years, and must turn over all your holdings. Former Director General Donald Ross decided, nearly five years ago, to formulate a new Mooshaven “Pay As You Go” arrangement. The Legion Residence, built in 1959, has been designated a “pay-as-you-go” prototype town home apartment residence for members willing to pay the entrance fee, and a monthly fee. Whether under the Traditional plan or Pay-As-You-Go, ALL incoming residents must still meet traditional admission requirements: Age 65 with at least 15 consecutive years of Moose membership.
In more than 75 years, the average age of a Moosehaven resident has steadily risen from early 60s to around 80. Moosehaven residents, as they are able, are free to plant their own gardens and can work for extra spending money as landscapers, housekeepers, food-service helpers, mail carriers, shop clerks, maintenance crew helpers, and the like. More than 3,000 aged senior Moose men and women have been admitted to the "City of Contentment." The present population at Moosehaven is about 300. Moosehaven celebrated its 85th anniversary in 2007.
A copy of a 48 page booklet by Moosehaven Resident Robert T. Cottingham titled "History of Moosehaven" is available by clicking here. This is a rather large pdf file so a high speed internet connection is recommended.
A modest donation to Moosehaven is suggested for use of this article which can be sent to
1701 Park Ave.
Orange Park, FL 32073
Attention Ross Fleet
If youth is to be cherished, then age is to be honored. Located in the warm Florida sunshine, Moosehaven is a complete community for our senior members - both men and women. Moosehaven opened its doors in 1922 to a special world of comfort and convenience, designed especially for those members who seek a sanctuary from the cares and burdens age sometimes imposes on those young of mind, but in need of a helping hand.
Moosehaven - set in a paradise environment just outside of Jacksonville, Florida - illustrates that this fraternity not only cherishes its young, but honors its seniors. As you enter our fraternity's ranks, you not only are helping to keep Moosehaven's lights burning brightly, but you are warming our residents hearts as well. Through your membership, if you or your family ever have a future need, you are now able to request the benefits and blessings of both Mooseheart and Moosehaven. These extra benefits of membership are some of the most important dividends you will enjoy in this Fraternity. Always keep your dues current, so you and your family are never without this valuable protection.
As you can see, the Loyal Order of Moose puts a priority on caring. The contributions made by all of us to the Mooseheart / Moosehaven Endowment Fund, enable us to provide our Moosehaven residents with the life they so richly deserve. What nobler commitment can there be?
Why the Moose ?
the Moose? Why was this particular animal chosen to represent a
humanitarian fraternal order? The Moose is a large, powerful animal, but
one which is a protector not a predator. We think it was perhaps said best
in our former enrollment ceremony:
"He takes only what he needs, nothing more . . . yet for his great size and strength he lives in peace with other creatures. The moose uses his size and power not to dominate but to protect, not to spoil but to preserve. He is a fierce protector, a loyal companion, and a generous provider who brings comfort and security to those within his defending circle."
It is these characteristics of the moose in the wild – the protective instinct for its young, and for the old and infirm in its herd – that the human members of the Moose fraternity have, for decades, modeled, in the establishment and operation of Mooseheart, the organization's community and school for children and teens in need; and Moosehaven, the retirement community for Moose men and women; as well as in service to its communities.
Moose are the most wonderful animals in the world, they inspire us with a sense of awe for Nature's majesty. Moose (Alces alces) live in the northern parts of America and Eurasia. They are the largest members of the deer family, the biggest moose as high as seven feet at the shoulders. They can weigh over 1300 pounds, the males with broad, palm-like antlers up to six feet across and 90 pounds heavy.
Despite their size and strength, moose tend to act very kindly toward their environment. Moose treat other animals and their surroundings with respect and care. Moose can be deadly if they feel threatened or angered: they may charge the opponent or kick forcefully with their hind legs. However, moose generally do not attack other creatures unless they or their offspring are in danger. They prefer to avoid hurting others if possible.
Moose eat all sorts of plant matter. In the summer, moose wade and swim through marshes and lakes, eating water plants. They also eat the tender shoots such as birches, willow, or poplar. In the winter, they will forage near the edges of forests, eating plant material such as bark or branches.
Only mature bull moose have antlers. These antlers can very quickly grow to be very large size. The rate of bone formation is the fastest known: up to one inch a day. Moose shed their antlers before the winter each year and grow them back in the spring. Why do they lose their antlers, considering the amount of energy it takes to grow them? One reason they might shed their antlers is to make foraging in the winter easier. Another reason is that the antlers each year are generally larger than the year before. Starting over would allow the moose to expand not only length, but also broadness and bulk.
History of the Moose Legion
The "Moose Legion" or "Degree of Service" was created by resolution during
the annual convention of the Supreme Lodge in Cincinnati, Ohio, and
adopted by the Supreme Council in 1913 as the Mooseheart Legion of the
World". Initially, and continuing until 1931, women enjoyed full
membership as an intricate part of the Mooseheart Legion of the World.
Moose Legion Trivia
History of the Women of the Moose
The "Moose Legion" or "Degree of Service" was created by resolution during the annual convention of the Supreme Lodge in Cincinnati, Ohio, and adopted by the Supreme Council in 1913 as the Mooseheart Legion of the World". Initially, and continuing until 1931, women enjoyed full membership as an intricate part of the Mooseheart Legion of the World. Early issues of the Moose Magazine proclaimed this union of men and women with the headlines….. "Mooseheart Legion for Men and Women".
Rodney Brandon, the "Moose Legion" degree's first administrator carrying the title Grand Regent, devised the first emblem, which incorporated a moose head centered in a pyramid with the letters "F", "H", and "C" at its points superimposed over a heart, surrounded by a circle and containing the words "Alces” and "Machlis", all of which had individual meanings. The pyramid symbolized the core of our existence, Faith, Hope and Charity, while the heart symbolized heart of the fraternity, and the word "Alces" meaning moose or large beast and "Machlis" meaning leader. The emblem was used in conjunction with the Women of the Moose until 1991, when a change was made to give both the Moose Legion and the Women of the Moose specific logo identity.
Though the Women of the Moose (originally termed the Women of Mooseheart Legion) had received formal recognition as a Moose auxiliary in 1913, they at first had little structured program of their own beyond the Chapter level. That changed in 1921, when James J. Davis, ( 247th member of the Loyal Order of Moose and the founder of Mooseheart ), met and hired a remarkable woman named Katherine Smith. When the 19th Amendment had granted women the right to vote in 1920, Smith, (from Indianapolis,) reasoned correctly, that women in politics would be a "growth market." She quit her secretarial job to go to work in Warren Harding's successful Presidential campaign--and, still in her 20s, she was rewarded with an appointment as Director of Public Employment in Washington. Labor Secretary, James J. Davis, was her boss, and he immediately recognized her talent and drive. It took him five years to convince her to quit her government job and go to work for him running the Women of the Moose. A stereotypical "women's program" held no interest for her, Smith argued. "So get out there and make a program," Davis retorted. She did exactly that, as the organization's first Grand Chancellor. The year 1931 brought the formal organization of the Women of the Moose, and produced an amicable split from the men, as a separate and distinct unit of the fraternity. Katherine Smith served as Grand Chancellor of the women of the Moose for 38 years until her retirement in 1964, at which point the Women of the Moose boasted 250,000 members. (It has since grown to more than 540,000, in approximately 1,600 Chapters.)